No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.

- Barbara de Angelis

About Me

Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Door Opens When The Other Closes

Well last Thursday was my first appointment to see my surgeon after the surgery.  The lovely nurse took out my stitches and said that Dr. Leiung would be right with me.  He comes in, and my dad's with me, says hello etc etc the regular doctor introduction- short and sweet.  So he takes a hold of my knee and moves it around to check the strength and see if the graft has held thus far. Well he said its super tight, which is awesome. However, he had to take my medial meniscus out because it was damaged beyond repair.  Arthritis here I come :( Following that crappy news, was even CRAPPIER news.  He looked at me and said, "You shouldn't be playing volleyball at all anymore if you would like to keep a decent knee for the rest of your life." I was just struck with a stiff feeling and was completely torn.  He said that any high impact sports were just not in the books for me at this point.  Dr. Leiung also suggested that doctors are coming out with a artificial meniscus and that this could be an option but its only available in the states and that its also not 100% guaranteed.  Don't think that's for me being that I wouldn't have any medical coverage and the chances of it working are unknown.  So no high impact sports for Joelle anymore. :'(

However on the bright side of things, I asked the doctor what he thought about riding. He said that it would be great because its low impact so, maybe its jLCBI Homecoming (126)ust me, but I see it as the other door opening up.  I've always wanted to rodeo and always wanted to learn to team rope. I'm learning how to every Thursday out at one of the barns east of Camrose with a girlfriend of mine her dad, and the whole crew. So far so good, I'm just hazing right now and learning the placement etc and am real good on the dummy! So maybe one day, I'll be able to enter up in a rodeo.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yuck. That is definitely not good news. But...life goes on and I'm glad you've found something else that has sparked your interest. But you aren't totally off the hook. You still have to come down here and visit at least once during the fall, so start planning your vacation from work my dear...